- You should know the vast, vast majority of electrical fires are caused by overloading extension cords. Much of the electrical code is written specifically around rules for minimizing the chance that somebody will use one. The number is over 80% of electrical fires. Mike Holt has some stats published.
- The majority of electronics stay plugged in all the time. Jimmy Carter was ranting about this in the 70’s. They do not cause a lot of fires spontaneously. The number isn’t zero, but neither is the number of people struck by lightning. I just installed some wall outlets that have USB chargers integrated. These basically have your phone charger inside the wall plugged in 24/7.
Go around your house and look for extension cords, space heaters, etc. That’s the only real useful way to spend your time reducing electrical hazards.
if I unplug my laptop or phone from its charger, but leave the charger plugged into the wall, is there any chance of it catching on fire?