Yes, in the state of California, you have three years to file a lawsuit for damages to your property and two years to file a lawsuit for medical expenses. The clock starts ticking the second you have the accident.

There are only a few circumstances under which you may get an extension. If the at-fault driver left the state and was unable to be served with a summons, if you were under 18 when the accident happened or if your injuries were not initially apparent, your attorney may be able to convince the court to give you an extension.